From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 11:59:11 -0600
My 2 cents :)

I have studied a number of creationist theories. The creation story we most
often hear about, likely because it is
"taught" by the most prominent bible-thumping evalgelicals, is the "young
earth" story (roughly 6,000 years ago everything was created in literal 24
hour days).

However, there are a number of other less publicized theories - some of
which have actually had a lot of thought put into them - that do not
necessarily contradict Darwinism and evolution. They involve acceptance of
a several billion year old universe, plus divine design. They disagree on
the some of the mechanisms involved, but most seem to accept the
possibility of varying degrees of natural selection at work.

Click on some of the links from the Talk.Origins site Wade has posted, and
read about them for yourself.

Now, a quick story of *potential* natural selection at work. I live near a
river that attracts a lot of mating ducks. A couple days ago I witnessed
(not in the religious sense :) a mother duck and her brood crossing a very
busy six-lane highway. I was sure she and her brood were done for. To my
surprise, she was able to maneuver the brood completely accross the
highway, without fear, stopping at all the correct spots to let groups of
cars pass - as if she knew *exactly* what she was doing! She did not lose
one duckling. I started thinking - I wonder if I was seeing the results of
Darwinism at work? Could it be that her genetic line had been selected out
(I've seen a large number of duck casualities on this same stretch) because
of a unique ability to avoid traffic? Could she be passing this ability on
to her descendents? Micro-evolution at work?

Anyway, it was fun watching them and speculating about a survival
mechanism, (possibly invented by some sort of creator -who knows), that
could insure the survival of a species in a constantly changing and
dangerous environment.