From:
Michelle Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:17:01 -0600
> How long did it take for you to notice health benefits
> (weight loss, energy increase, abatement of any
> disease symptoms you were trying to get rid of) after
> beginning paleo eating?
I got rid of my moderate case of acne within 1 week of being on the diet
(tried other prescriptions and over-the-counter remedies for many years with
no success).  Though not overweight by any stretch of the imagination, I
lost all of my bloating within a few days of being on the diet.  Mentally, I
went from somebody who constantly wondered if I should be on an
anti-depressant to mentally very happy and full of energy.  There was a much
more evening out of energy levels (no afternoon slump).  I also no longer
have indigestion.  I'm still in the beginning stages of the diet, so I often
fall off the wagon.  But it gets easier each time I'm back on as my symptoms
come back full force every time I cheat and the good physical well-being I
get on the diet is hard to ignore.  And each time I cheat it is less and
less "bad".  I just can't stomach huge donuts or pieces of cake anymore.
Yeeech.

Keep in mind that the first few days you may feel tired.  Your body has to
learn to process fats more efficiently.  And don't be afraid of fat.

> Does anyone live in a "mixed diet" household, and how
> do you manage with it? >

Yes, my husband is a junk food addict and isn't about to change.  I just
make my own food and have him pick out his own.  He does often eat what I
make, but supplements it with his junk.

Any advice on
> things to give her to read, or success stories to
> share?
www.beyondvegetarianism.com  has great articles and lots of reading,
especially in your case.  Also, ask her how humans could possibly have
evolved within the 10,000 years of when agriculture was first introduced and
grains entered the human diet.  And that is 10,000 years at most, as most of
the world were still hunter gatherers for thousands of years later.  Use the
analogy of how you would give an ideal diet to a zoo animal.  The ideal diet
would attempt to mimic what they get in nature.  Same for humans.  What
foods would we have access to in nature?  But don't force the beliefs.  Just
quietly eat this way and she will see the benefits of your improved health
for herself.