From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:57:43 +0100

>Date:    Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:18:03 +1000
>From:    Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: so-called 'protein toxicity'

>not a great deal, as I was just reading about it yesterday. but have a go at
>this
>link:
>http://www.metametrix.com/docs/book/ch4.htm

I can;t get this link to work. I also tried typing it in. In fact I am having
a lot of problems with links on this board. Don't know why. I'm missing a lot.

If you are interested in this try thes links

http://www.uclm.es/inabis2000/symposia/files/018/default.htm

http://www.ochoa.fib.es/Investigadores/Felipo/researchi.htm

http://www2.ufp.pt/~pedros/bq/urea.htm

>There is a substance called ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate which scavenges
>ammonia, and is marketed as an anabolic compound also in weighttraining
>circles.  They claim it is never found naturally but this seems a bit
>dubious. So
>I think it may well be found in certain parts of animal meats, perhaps in
>oily fish
>or fish skin.

I would agree. What nutritionalists know about food,its compounds and the
aminotransferases are minimal.  So i would not be surprised if the body could
make it. A line from the last link goes "Excess diet aminoacids are neither
stored nor excreted as such: they are converted in pyruvate, oxaloacetate,
a-ketoglutarate, etc. Therefore, aminoacids are also precursors of glucose,
fatty acids, and ketone bodies, and can be used for energy production". And
from the other reading a-ketoglutarate scavenges ammonia. I have to admit a
lot of this is way over my head, but I find it very interesting.

>Many on this list feel a 'brain fog' just eating red muscle meat, as i do,
>but I have found
>a lot more mental clarity eating sea mullet a few times.  i previously put
>this down to the purine content, but the same does not occur with lamb
>shank.

YEs I have noticed this and fair much better on a high fish diet, at least
twice a day (and as they are wee fish - herring, whiting, haddock, I don't
worry too much about mercury, more about the radioactive pollution from
Dounray and Sellafield which is now showing up in Scottish farmed salmon - who
would touch that anyway).

Fish has
>always had a reputation as a brain food, but maybe there is more to this
>than the omega-3 oils.

The old wives knew a lot more than we do today.

Thanks

Fran