From:
Jerry Stegenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:05:01 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/2003 8:59:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 09:41  PM, Jerry Stegenga wrote:
> > I will be here, and if anyone has any questions about being a
> >diabetic on PALEO I will be glad to respond.  JerrySteg
> >

> If you don't mind. What sort of adaptations have you made? With what
> results?

About 20 years ago I ended up in the hospital with diabetic ulcers on my left
foot. (a corrected club foot with two high pressure points) I had been a type
2 diabetic for 15 years and loosely followed the FDA and ADA pyramid food
plan. My blood glucose control was poor. In the hospital I met a diabetes
educator nurse (one of the first) and she told me of a new BG (blood glucose) meter
that was just being introduced for use by patients at home. She loaned me her
promo sample while I was at the hospital so we could compare it with the lab
readings. Shortly thereafter I acquired my own meter and by taking BG readings
before and after each meal I slowly accumulated a list of foods showing how
they affected my BG readings. I also started a study on nutrition which continues
on today. The diet that I finally arrived at as being the best for my
diabetic condition was as follows:

1  Meat, fowl, fish, shellfish became the foundation of my regimen.

2  Fruit is limited to berries, peaches, avocado, cavandish bananas (home
grown), melons, small apple occasionally and a pear now and then.

3 Vegetables are asparagus, green snap beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower,
carrots, celery, chard, cucumbers, eggplant. Lettuce (all kinds ), mushrooms,
okra, radishes, spinach, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and turnips. I do
not eat any type of potato.

4  Liquids.  I drink water, ice tea, 1 cup of coffee per day, 1 to 2 glasses
red (cabernet) wine per day and a pint of Guinness about once every 6 weeks. I
do not drink any "soft drinks" or other types of juices.

5 Sweeteners. I do not use any "sweeteners" period. Not even honey. If I want
an extra sweet treat I eat a piece of fruit.

6  I do not use any grain products. That means anything made from grains like
cereal, bread, pasta, pastry, etc.

7  The only dairy product that I use (about every 2 weeks) is a small wedge,
1 oz., of cheddar cheese.

8  The most important item I have saved for last. I do not eat any
manufactured (processed) food.

Well, about 2-3 years ago I ran across this word PALEO during one of my
nutritional investigations and the PALEO regimen was very close to what I had
arrived at with my trusted BG meter. So here I am. My doctor says that if he did
not know I was diabetic he would classify me as a normal non diabetic patient
based on my blood chemistry and yearly physical reports.

I hope that this answers some of your questions. JerrySteg       (Jerry
Stegenga)