NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jent Lynne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:21:50 -0700
Good for you, Sherene! And good luck getting your doctor to see the light, if
s/he is one of those "if it ain't in my medical journal, it doesn't count"
types (unfortunately, most are).

I find that many doctors will simply change the parameters they ask for, to
"prove" they are right, rather than realizing their patient (at least on this
point) is more educated than they are. I have a good friend who's an M.D., and
the stories I hear from her about medical school, internship, and medical
practice has made me depend more on my own learning, when it comes to anything
not exceedingly common (like food allergies, and so on), instead of conforming
to what my doctors have to say.

It will be interesting when you calculate what your kids are getting for
calcium! :)

--- Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am often told by "experts" that the children and I need to
> supplement with calcium tablets because we aren't eating dairy.  I
> finally got fed up explaining how you can get calcium from other
> foods so I decided to show them how much calcium I eat on a daily basis.
>
> I fed my food intake for 3 weeks into a program that calculates the
> nutrient value.  It turns out that I am averaging 1700mg of calcium a
> day. Not bad, just have to eat a lot of greens to do it.  LOL
>
> I think I am going to do it  on the children's food intake before
> their  next well child visit and take it into the appointment with me
> as I am having the devil's own job convincing their ped that they are
> having a well balanced diet that contains no dairy.
>
> Shez in Norfolk.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein