C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:21:36 EST
When I first moved out on my own, I had to learn the hard way.  If you can
handle basic math it should be no problem.  The best way to start if you will be
on your own is a section 8 apartment for the disabled.  These are the best
for those with limited income.  The rent would be about one third of your
income, may be a little more.  The rest you will have to be disciplined about how
you spend your money.  Most Section 8 apartments have light and heat included,
so the main bills would be cable and phone.  For internet access, you will have
to decide on what type of ISP that you would want.  There are some that are
$5.00 a month, but very limited in what you can do on it.  For cable, you would
have to go for basic cable if your TV can't pick up a local signal.  For
phone service, there is something called USA, which is set up so a person on
limited income can get phone service with no fancy services added.  For shopping
for groceries, some buildings have senior groups that go out once a week to go
shopping using a van from the building or a bus company.  All these would have
to be considered when you are ready to move out.  If you have any further
questions please email me.  I will always be there to help.

Cannaday for President
Website:http://www.pcfo.org/PRESIDENT.html
Website: http://www.DisabilityParty.com
Email: [log in to unmask]