BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:17:10 -0500
Met History wrote:

> What is the form of the iron that is introduced into the brick - pebbles?
> Was it already black, or does it oxidize to that color?
> Are the fragments of iron only black on the outside (where they are
> exposed to oxygen) or also on the inside?
>
> Christopher
>
> PS  What is the Pope's position on gay divorce?

Good questions... and as can be expected only non-answers here about the
Pope's disposition.
I remember once reading in a Karl Jung book that the Pope is inspected
to make sure he is not a neuter.
They had to worry that early Pope's might be terrorist infiltrators from
the odder sects. (pun intended)
One of the names associated with his LONG title indicates that he has
been so inspected and found adequate.
So you can rest assured on at least one question -- the Pope comes fully
equiped.

Absolute answers to the iron spots in brick I do not have, but
conjecture yes... will seek confirmation.

Iron specks in brick is smaller than pebbles. If they were too much
larger there could be thermal problems in firing I assume -- distortion
of shape most likely.
It would make sense that there is an optimal proportion between size of
iron particle and surrounding clay mass.
Pebbles of iron would be something of a waste. I've not seen dating of
iron spot brick as in "early" iron spot and "late" iron spot... though
there has to be a chronology of technical experimentation and refinement.
I believe that it may or may not have been black... iron tends to
oxidize readily and it would have oxidized prior to mixing in the clay.
When is iron black?
What color is a chunk of iron on the inside?
In brick these are very small traces and it is not to clear to me what
there is of the "inside" to call anything the inside in a practical sense.
We are probably talking microscopic insides here... I mean, really small.

][<en