From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:31:39 -0500
I just accept being a bit slower.  It's a quantum leap ahead of
typing the log on a typewriter and having no way to proofread your
work, or have someone else log for you, which I did when I was
operating at W4BVV and W3FA in the late '70s.  I try to type part of
the information while also listening to the station giving my report
to me; I tend not to type while I'm trying to talk.  You might be
able to improve things by running the rig or the sound card through
headphones.  I also use a foot switch for transmit/receive, so my
hands don't have to wander away from the PC keyboard quite as much.
I don't have packet set up at the moment, nor any voice keyer or
memory keying from the computer for CW.  I use CT in a DOS box with
Window-Eyes; I'm not sure that program even works in the NA Sprint.

73 and have fun!
-- W3IUU

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:35:52 -0500, Tom Behler wrote:

>Hi, folks:
>
>I know there are some veteran contesters out there, so hopefully I can get
>an answer to a small question I have.
>
>My contesting experience thus far has been rather limnited, but I am getting
>into it more and more.  In fact, this coming week-end, for the NAQP ssb
>contest, I'll be part of a team for our local club.
>
>My main strategy for contesting has typically been "search and pounce".  I
>find that this gives me enough time to get info entered into my logging
>program, without causing others to wait for what I have to do.
>
>However, I would like to become more proficient at CQing, and having folks
>come to me.  I understand that this is the best way to rack up contacts.
>
>My problem is this:  By the time I work with my logging program to enter
>info from an answered CQ, a full second or two has elapsed, which makes
>things not proceed very smoothly.  In other words, I find myself struggling
>with listening to both the rig and the computer speech screen reader at the
>same time.  I guess one solution to this would be to get someone to log for
>me.  The other solution might just be practice!
>
>Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions or strategies that have worked
>for them?
>
>I'm simply trying to make my responses to CQ's more efficient.
>
>Thanks as always for your help.
>
>Best 73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
home: <http://lras.home.sprynet.com/>
Work:  <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>