Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:27:34 -0600

MIke wrote,
   >Used to handle traffic on the CW TFC nets in the 1970's; was on WSN
   >a lot and represented it to RN& several times and once RN7 to PAN
<snip>
   >I found it a bit distracting to use
   >a slate and do CW at the same time so used to tape the messages and
   >then send them on, sending about three characters behind my
   >receiving.  Now *that* blew peoples' minds when they watched me do
   >it!
THat would blow my mind as well.  I'm central area net daytime
manager.  I'm active on the phone nets as I'm a musician and work
nights.  In Iowa for about a year I was section traffic manager up
until I moved.

Lots of folks using digital modes as well as cw and phone these days.
My main mode of copying is either with a slate and stylus or using a
computer.  iF I use a computer I dump the resulting ascii file to my
braille embosser for later reading on the air if its for relay.  IF
its for delivery it just goes directly into the master file and I make
a phone call <grin>.

ENjoying some of the stories in this thread.  To all of you who have
handled traffic I say this:  Help teach a newbie how to originate
messages and help them get involved!  WE need them and we need them
bringing traffic to us.  THere's a dearth of true third party traffic
out there in the system folks and it's one of the best tools we have
for educating the general public that Ham radio is alive and well, and
ready to serve when the stuff hits the fan.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania