Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
krosenth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:37:27 -0700
Well, you need to consider the source in this study.  That said, does anyone have any ideas re. how to make hot cocoa without using dairy or sugar?   I would assume a dark, sugarless cocoa and stevia.  What else?  Cocoa is New World but has been used for a very long time.  Living in S. New Mexico - within sight of the Mexican border - has made me more aware of some of the ancient Aztec and Inca recipes.  They used cocoa in many things and often combined it with chili peppers in sauces.  Their descendents, some of whom live in my area, are still using these recipes today.  My heritage is Dutch and cocoa was consumed in large amounts in my family for as long as we can remember but we used sugar and milk and didn't get the added benefit of red chili !!
Kath

 Hot Cocoa Tops Red Wine And Tea In Antioxidants; May Be Healthier
    Choice
    [11/07/2003; ScienceDaily]

There's sweet news about hot cocoa: Researchers at Cornell
University have shown that the popular winter beverage
contains more antioxidants per cup than a similar serving
of red wine or tea and may be a healthier choice.

The study adds to growing evidence of the health benefits
of cocoa and points to a tasty alternative in the quest
to maintain a diet rich in healthy antioxidants, chemicals
that have been shown to fight cancer, heart disease and
aging, the researchers say.

Their study, which they say is the most complete comparison
to date of the total antioxidant content of these three
popular beverages, will appear in the Dec. 3 issue of the
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-reviewed
journal of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest
scientific society.

"Although we know that antioxidants are important for
good health, nobody knows the exact daily amount required
per person," says Chang Yong Lee, Ph.D., head of the study
and a professor of food chemistry in Cornell's Department
of Food Science and Technology, located in Geneva, N.Y.
"Nevertheless, a cup or two of hot cocoa every once in
a while can provide a delicious, warm and healthy way
to obtain more antioxidants."

The full article can be found at:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031106051159.htm