Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:28:14 EDT

Hello,
I'm sure many of you heard the short segment on National Public Radio's
Morning Edition this morning (Wed. July 21) but for those who didn't, you can
listen to the audio on their website. The link is:
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3605511&sourceCode=RSS

I know some people will be put off by celiac being called an allergy -- at
least on the website -- (as with the TIME magazine article), and maybe by
whatever info was left out or not emphasized in the interview the NPR reporter
conducts. It's a very short segment and I'm sure many of us would've loved
something more in-depth with a lot more details. However, I'm happy to see this recent
coverage in the more mainstream media just as a way of raising public
awareness about celiac. I was especially glad to hear two points being made by the
doctor: that symptoms can be variable, atypical, and even absent in adults, and
also that celiac is an overlooked disease because it was previously thought to
be rare in this country and now indications show at least 3 million Americans
have it. I think it's important that this information be publicized more and
was grateful that Morning Edition -- which has a huge audience -- aired this
short piece.

Ellen