From:
Marcella Mantovani <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marcella Mantovani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:25:26 +0200

Dear Listmates,
I really want to thank all of you (about 20 very nice persons) replied to my
help request about next planned trip to USA (California).
You all were so kind to me and I really appreciated it.
You gave me a lot of important information I had to know indeed.

I already begin to love California (and USA, of course) throught your good
words...

Hope to give someone of you back my help about exciting next GF trips to my
loved ITALY!

LOTS OF THANKS AGAIN!

 Marcella, Naples, Italy

I'll try to summarize the many information back, maybe some others foreigns
like me in the List could  learn from reading it:

> > There are three large chain restaurants in the U.S. that you would have
no problem in:   Outback, P.F. Changs, and Carrabba's Italian Grill. All
three
 have a GF menu.  The Italian one might not be in Calif. however.  If you go
to almost any really good  restaurant the chefs understand GF.  Be careful
 with fast food places although Mc Donalds are everywhere and you can eat
their burgers without the bun,  french fries etc.  Most large cities have
 health food stores to purchase  products.

 As far as fast food, Wendy's has gluten free hamburgers, just order
without the bun, they have baked potatoes, chili and frosty -- all  gluten
free.  McDonald's shakes are gluten free, and if you go on their  websites,
you can download menus.

As far as groceries, most regular grocery stores will have GF pasta, and
Whole Foods or Wild Oats will  have a better selection. Smaller health food
stores will carry other items.  Kinnikinnick bread is already made and quite
good.  They also have ready made donuts.  You can  buy your own GF pasta and
bring it into many restaurants -- as long as the package is unopened, they
can cook it for you -- just be sure to stress that they must use clean water
(not water they use for the other pasta).

> > my suggestion would be to print out some of the dinning cards from the
site below. It is sometimes easier to make the staff aware that this is
more than a fad diet and your request is necessary to keep you healthy.
Since I have been using restaurant cards, I have gotten more attention  paid
to what I am requesting. There are no guarantees, but it has made a
difference for me.
> > http://www.kinnikinnick.com/pdfs/restcard.pdf

> > California is one of the best places to visit if you have special
dietary restrictions.  My suggestion is to carry foods with you when you
are in the lesser metropolitan areas.  Las Vegas may have some health  food
stores somewhere but, the city may pose a problem for you as there
generally is very little awareness of GF and such.

At "In and Out Burger" - West Coast burger chain order your burger 'protein
style' and without the 'special sauce' You can eat the french fries.=20
The 'Whole Foods' grocery store chain has gluten free goods. these are
throughout California.=20
Outback Steakhouse has a GF menu - it is delicious and really helps in a
pinch.=20

> > I carry peanut butter and apples with me. Try to avoid chain restaurants
other then the ones mentioned --
> > they usually pre prepare food that is loaded with bad stuff.=20
> >
> > Restaurant owners and workers in the U.S. are not as aware of the
special needs of people with celiac disease. Even those who advertise =
> > gluten free menu selections sometimes include gluten in the selections.
Some restaurants really do try, but their ignorance of the condition =
> > prevents them from making sure their is no gluten in the meals. I have
found that Chinese restaurants are usually good, because you can order a =
> > dish without soy sauce, such as Moo Goo Gai Pan, or chicken with
broccoli or chicken with snow peas. Be careful about ordering beefsteak,
because many time the steaks are marinated in a gluten-containing  marinade.
You will just have to assume that the waitstaff and the chef  know nothing
about CD and try to make them understand the condition and  the consequences
of ingesting gluten.

> > Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59
national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items.
There's also a
=
> > Many chefs are very knowledgeable about GF issues but some are not.
> > One thing you might consider is doing picnics -- obviously, bread from a
bakery and cheese may not work <G> but there are other things that you might
try.

> > Additionally, some food markets have "gluten free product lists."
Trader Joe's is one of them:  http://www.traderjoes.com/products/index.asp
(They also have numerous places in the west, fewer in New England, wher I
live).

http://www.wholefoods.com.  They also sell GF products.

> > Many supermarkets also have GF products and, of course, you're always
safe with things like fruit, etc.

> > The USA is not well versed on the gluten free diet. However some
restaurants have developed GF menus. I am not sure of the sources for  Don
Pablo's and Chilli's GF lists, but the Outback, Texas Roadhouse and
Carrabbas GF menus were prepared by dietitians knowledgeable in the GFD.  I
would suggest that you print these and take them with you. Also, PF Changs
restaurants have GF menus in all their restaurants and train  their staff on
the diet.
You can get English restaurant card (gives information to the cook/chef
about the GFD) from GIG. I could not download their order form today. I
would suggest that you email [log in to unmask] and request on.