From:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:52:27 -0400

Listmates,

Two days ago I posted a comment that a friend of mine had made about his
son "growing out of cd". The son is now in his mid thirties and has no
symptoms. I asked if anyone had heard of such a thing. I was pretty sure
I already knew the answer but wanted to see what kind of response I
would get.

Boy did I get responses!!

I received 64 replies (and I'm sure there will be more). All but 2 or 3
said you can't grow out of cd anymore than you can grow out of diabetes.
That analogy hit home since I have cd and type 1 diabetes. Both diseases
are autoimmune diseases. Several people stated that at the time of his
diagnosis he might have had a wheat allergy and not cd.

I'm having lunch with the father of this "recovered" celiac tomorrow
(Thursday) and will present him with printouts of all the replies I
received. Hopefully, he'll try to convince his son to be reexamined. His
son lives in Bermuda. Does anyone know of a doctor there who is well
versed on cd?

Dick