From:
Milt Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milt Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:54:58 -0500

After reading through more than 25 responses, there seems to be agreement on only one thing, and that is that distilled alcoholic beverages should be g/f unless a gluten-containing additive (flavoring? coloring?) is added back into the beverage after it has been distilled.
    I would like to share a couple of interesting quotes with you:
1.Speaking of Rye whiskey ,Jack Danials is verified Gf.good luck .
Jeff in Baltimore
2.Both the Canadian and Australian celiac societies have distilled alcohol
such as rye, vodka, gin, scotch etc on their gluten free lists.
Kirk and Carol West
3.The only alcoholic beverages that are not allowed on a gluten free diet are
the ones that are not distilled (Beers, Ales, Lagers, and Stouts). The flavored liquors are the only ones that even need to be questioned (i.e. flavored vodka or whiskey)
Theresa Cornelius, MS, RD, CLC
President of East TN GIG
4. I am very sensitive to the slightest amount of gluten and enjoyed Tanqueray gin with tonic water and a twist of lime as a summer drink all last summer.
Jessie
And the last one - the one I know everyone has been waiting for:
5.I just found out this year, when I called to ask about Michelob's Ultra, that all Budweiser's beer is made from rice and the barley that is used in the brewing process in degraded into amino acids.  Their scientists are unable to detect any gluten.  I have drunk a lot of Bud Light this year and reported this information to my GI doctor
expecting a tongue lashing, but he thought it was great.  We take other companies word for it.
Why not beer companies? I hope you publish this along with their phone number so anyone can check on it.  It is 1-800-342-5283  (1-800 Dial Bud)
Charles (Owens) in SC
Thanks to all who responded.
Milt,
Meherrin, VA