Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:13:02 -0400

This is a letter I just sent to Phillips Foods. (website: www.phillipsfoods.com)

I have celiac sprue disorder. I get very ill if I ingest even the smallest amount of gluten, a protein in wheat, barley, rye, and (by contamination during farming process) oats. Eating out in restaurants can be an adventure, even dangerous. Avoiding (obvious or hidden) bread, crumbs, flour, thickeners of questionnable sources, accidental contamination in pans or from utensils, etc. is always a concern.

As a boater on the Chesapeake Bay, I frequently sail or drive to Annapolis, and your establishment is my restaurant of choice.

I always explain my situation to the waiter/waitress...and have been met with care, intelligence, and cooperation every time. (This time, it was Jenica.) If it is not crowded, the chefs (Mike and Ben, if memory serves me right, on different days), have come to my table to discuss selections and make recommendations.  I've never requested this service; your staff really cares about your customers!

We went to the Annapolis Sailboat Show this past weekend, with some trepidation, because of the damage sustained by Isabel. Not only were you up to speed, but despite the crowds, your manager, John (Maske?) came to our table to be sure everything was fine. (I am more nervous about my food when restaurants are serving crowds, but the meal was exactly what I asked for. No problem at all.)

The area around Annapolis Harbor is known for good food, but I have had horrid experiences in the other restaurants, sometimes having to walk out because the waitstaff was too obtuse to understand and too rude to care, or having to return food that had bread on it and hope I really get a fresh meal back. I have never been treated badly at Phillips. I want you to know that in addition to writing to you, I am writing to the celiac listserv to which I belong.

Thank you.

Mrs. Linda Goldkrantz