VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:14:05 -0500
A couple of years ago radio personality Rush Limbaugh told his listeners
that he was deaf.  Today, he confirmed newspaper stories that he is an
addict.  He acknowledged that he dealt with a disabling condition that
produced severe back pain poorly and took full responsibility for his
situation.

Last week, the commentator's former housekeeper stated in newspaper
reports that she purchased thousands of pills that were highly addictive
prescription pain medications.  Her husband had fallen and was prescribed
these medications.  Rush asked for some of the pills her husband was
taking.  He later asked for more.  When her husband recovered and the
doctor stopped the prescription, rush became  upset and bullied her to
obtain more pills in larger quantities in any way possible.  She obtained
them on the black market.  Rush would meet the woman at a Denny's parking
lot near his Florida mansion and pay her cash for the pills.  The
housekeeper is said to have tape recordings of  two of the drug deals.
E-mails were produced in which Rush placed orders for the pills.  The
housekeeper said she went public with the information and shared the tape
recordings with the local state's attorney because she believed that if
Rush continued to take the pills in the numbers and dosages he was he
would kill himself before long.  She realized he was addicted and could
not stop taking the powerful and potentially dangerous drugs.

Today, Rush's voice was faltering and reflexive.  The master of words was
searching for some today.  His written statement is below.  The statement
can be listened to online with Windows Media Player or downloaded as an
MP3 file at:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_101003/content/rush_on_the_re
cord.guest.html

The audio options are at the end of the statement on the webpage.  The
tone and tenor of his voice and extra comments in the audio file convey a
lot of meaning not in the written statement.

This is extraordinary news.

Kelly

Rush Limbaugh Statement on Prescription Pain Medication Stories

    October 10, 2003

    You know I have always tried to be honest with you and open about my
life. So I need to tell you today that part of what you have heard and
read is correct. I am addicted to prescription pain medication. I first
started taking prescription painkillers some years ago when my doctor
prescribed them to treat post surgical pain following spinal surgery.
Unfortunately the surgery was unsuccessful, and I continued to have
severe pain in my lower back and also in my neck due to herniated discs.

    I am still experiencing that pain. Rather than opt for additional
surgery for these conditions, I chose to treat the pain with prescribed
medication. This medication turned out to be highly addictive. Over the
past several years I have tried to break my dependence on pain pills
and, in fact, twice checked myself into medical facilities in an attempt
to do so. I have recently agreed with my physician about the next steps.
Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a
treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold
this highly addictive medication has on me.

    The show will continue during this time, of course, with an array of
guest hosts you have come to know and respect. I am not making any
excuses. You know, over the years athletes and celebrities have emerged
from treatment centers to great fanfare and praise for conquering great
demons. They are said to be great role models and examples for others.
Well, I am no role model. I refuse to let anyone think I am doing
something great here, when there are people you never hear about, who
face long odds and never resort to such escapes.

    They are the role models. I am no victim and do not portray myself
as such. I take full responsibility for my problem. At the present time
the authorities are conducting an investigation, and I have been asked
to limit my public comments until this investigation is complete. So, I
will only say that the stories you have read and heard contain
inaccuracies and distortions, which I will clear up when I am free to
speak about them. I deeply appreciate all of your support over this last
tumultuous week. It has sustained me. I ask now for your prayers. I look
forward to resuming our excursion into broadcast excellence together.