From:
Les Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:34:48 -0500
Hi Peter,

I am having basically the same problem. If I open an email or some other
simple task the computer freezes and I have to hit the power switch. Nothing
will work. I cannot get into task manager. If I hit ALT-F4 the screen will
come up saying it is not responding but clicking on a selection does
nothing. Are these the troubles you are having? Take a look at Events Viewer
and see what the error is. Mine is ACPI malfunction> You can get there by
Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Events Viewer.

Les Barnes

> The problem is that this PC freezes up completely when using either
Internet or email. Both of these are through a cable modem (150k Broadband)
which has only recently been added. The freezing problem didn't occur when
they were accessed via the old dial-up 56K modem.

> Email seems to be the main problem, although there are instances of it
happening in some Office programmes such as Word.

> I've tried changing the amount of shared memory, but it makes no
difference whatsoever, as to what it is set to. Any ideas!!

> Best regards,     Pete Sowerby.........

---
Virus Database (VPS): 2/17/2004
Tested on: 2/17/2004 5:34:48 PM