From:
"C.Hemming" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 10:36:41 -0800
To the List:

Without further inquiry, I have some suspicions about what is occurring.

So I am suspecting that the three xp machines in the network are all
formatted NTSF and so cannot be seen by the lone win 98se box.

As for the delay, what I suspect is occurring is that the win98 box is
logging into the network for 3 minutes, gives up, and then establishes the
connection to the internet.  If you watch its light on the router, you will
probably see it blink several times, which means that the network connection
in the win 98se machine is trying to "log in" to the network.

The other 3 xp machines should be able to "see" the win98 machine, just not
the reverse.

As for proof, I have a home network with a router which includes a desktop
with dual boot win 98se / win 2000 setup.  The other part of the network is
a laptop with win 2000.  The hard drive in the laptop is formatted NTSF.
When I boot in win 98se, the desktop can not see the laptop, because DOS 7
(which is what win 98se is) cannot see NTFS.

The dual boot on my desktop is drive c for win 98se and drive f for win 2000
(formatted in NTSF).  When I boot it in win 98se, the NTSF drive f
disappears and cannot be seen by win 98.

I have not tried any further ways of "seeing" the NTSF drive in the win 98se
machine, but I don't think it is possible.

Robert B. Hemming

>   1. Network Issue

> Date:    Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:34:18 -0800
> From:    David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Network Issue
>
>   You've told us that three machines are running XP and one running 98SE,
> but you haven't told us which one has the problem.
>   When the three minutes have passed, the fourth machine can talk to the
> Internet.  Can it talk to any of the other machines?
>
>   What does "ipconfig /all" report on each machine?
>
> David Gillett
>

> On 5 Feb 2004 at 21:40, Paul M. Feldman wrote:
>
> > I have a simple peer to peer network between 4 computers, 3 of which are
> > running XP Pro with the 4th using Win98SE.
> >
> > The problem that I am experiencing only occurs on 1 computer.  On
rebooting
> > or start up, the other 3 all "see" their networked cousins.  Only one
> > machine will not "see" the other drives on the 3 other machines.  I am
using
> > a router to handle the traffic between all 4 computers as well as allow
> > DSL internet connection.  After perhaps 2 or 3 minutes, the non
compliant
> > machine allows an internet connection as well as e-mail capabilities.
The
> > other boxes "see" their peers on the network and allow immediate DSL
> > connectivity.
> >
> > The computer that is not performing must have this little 3 minute
period of
> > reflection, and them emails and internet communication is possible.  I
simply
> > click on the otherwise inaccessible computers/logical volumes and all
works
> > well, until the next shut down/re-boot.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Any suggestions, anyone.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Paul M. Feldman
> >
> >               The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
> >                      support at our newest website:
> >                           http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml