From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:04:21 -0500
On Tuesday 30 December 2003 04:40 pm, Stanley S. Churchill wrote:
> Aaaahhh..the memories of dire catastrophe....remember them well...
>
> Ok, first off......"Be sure you don't forget about static electricity",
> we'll discuss that later...
>
> No, you don't need to "unplug" everything....but everything must be turned
> off...and on your 'puter that means that little switch in the back on your
> power supply(where the power cord plugs into....).
>
> Then just move things around until you can COMFORTABLY access the back
> panel and remove the side panel(the back panel in case the side panel is
> attached with screws).  Depending on the case manufacturer, there is also
> the possibility that the side panels and top cover are one piece...in which
> case you will have to slide it back about 3/4"+/-, then lift it straight
> up.(Or some contortion similar to that).
>
> Then it should be a simple matter of remembering the "Be sure you don't
> forget about Static Electricity".....touch the bottom inside the case to
> get rid of any static........that little spark of static can "kill" many of
> those precious components........
>
> Ok...uh, did I mention "Static Electricity"????
>
> Now, very carefully, remove the existing Memory chip.....paying close
> attention to how and why it is in there the way it is....everything from
> the cutouts on the ends to the notches between the contacts have a
> purpose....
>
> Now, lay the one down gently on a piece of cloth(or a mousepad works
> great)with the contacts facing right(this way-------->) the lay your new
> chip down next to it with the contacts facing left(this
> way<-------).....kinda eyeball and line everything up...and "Be sure you
> check that the notches between the contacts...match!"
>
> Once your sure they match....re-install the original memory chip(reversing
> what ever you did to remove it) then in the slot next to it, install your
> new chip........
>
> While you've got the cover off, get a "can of air"($5 at Walmart)or even
> two, and blow that sucker out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Eyeball everything for "discolorations", curiosity, or any other excuse you
> can come up with..(I just like to "play" with my toys).....
>
> Then carefully put the cover back in place.......and restart your
> 'puter.....
>
> That should just about cover it......except the congratulatory beers(or
> drink of choice) as your wife gazes loving at her husband who can "fix
> things".....

Just an add-on to Stan's excellent advice and counsel: Mark Minasi (who has
written a series of books about upgrading and repairing) once wrote that a
good way to avoid static problems is to work barefooted. No wrist strap, no
need to continually reground yourself. It's always worked for me. I must
admit that this practice did create some controversy when I did it at work.
After that, I just waited until those-who-have-nothing-better-to-do had left
for the day before going inside the case.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com