From:
Robert Kupferer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:11:06 +0000
I am trying to decide if I should get dsl or cable internet.  I have a
roommate and I will have to share the connection.  Both the cable and dsl
claim you can only use it for one computer.  Are they just trying to get
more money from me?  Isn't that what a cable router is for?  Will a cable
router work for either cable or dsl... can't I just set it up between the
modem and the 2 computers after the cable/dsl setup is done?  Or is what
they're talking about the 'static ip' thing... do I need cable/dsl that has
a static ip address for the router to split it?

Also I am worried about hackers with always on.  I have zonealarm free
edition.  Can I just switch it to lock internet traffic when we turn the
computers off?  Don't know if anyone knows about that program.  Is there a
way to disconnect the computer, can people access your computer over the
internet with cable/dsl when it is off?  For example can you unplug the dsl
plug from the wall and plug it back in and still be connected to the
internet, not cause any problems with the host?

thank you for any information,
Robert Kupferer

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml