Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:39:48 +1200
Hey, this is pretty adventurous Scott.  But good for you, it's the best way
to learn about PC's.

When you say you want to use it for photography, just what do you mean?
Image manipulation?

And I note you mention 'zip' drive.  Do you specifically need one of these?
They can be a problem at times.

Re your question generally, it has potentially hundreds of answers, mainly
because of the complexity of choice of the available hardware.

Basically, you need a case, a motherboard, a cpu, some ram, a floppy drive,
a CD drive, and a hard drive. Apart from the floppy, there's a huge element
of choice of those items.

Obviously, on top of that, you'll want a monitor, keyboard, mouse and
speakers.

My suggestion would be to go to your retailer and ask them to put together a
package for you.  Or maybe get them to list the items they intend to give
you, then run it past the group.

One thing is probably certain - this first venture will be a big learning
curve for you, and you may not get the result you really want until the
second time you do it.

PS - Just reread your question; it might pay you to get a RAID board
(basically 4 IDE ports instead of 2, each of which runs 2 devices = 8 in
total) which will enable you run a heap of devices.  On my Gigabyte RAID
board, I run 2 CD's, a DVD, 3 HDD's and until recently, a ZIP drive.

One more thing - the case will need a reasonably hefty power supply, go for
a minimum of 300w, any extra won't hurt.  Keep us posted.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Scot" Subject: [PCBUILD]

Hi all ,

I'm new to the list.

I have been thinking of building my own PC (much to the dismay of my wife)

 The primary use will be photography.

Does anyone have a parts list that I could go off of or would it be better
to let one of the retailers put it together for me?

I would like to have two  hard drives plus all the regular cd dvd rw, zip
drive etc. Will I need a specific mother board to handle this?

Thanks
Scot Coveyou

I only get the digest so you all can reply directly to me @

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,