C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:22:19 -0700
good lord, ken, where did you hear this?

-------------------------------
>  since we are politicing, i noticed with intrest that
>  john kerry made a statement that he believed life
>  started at conception and not a peep from NOW. more

everybody is entitled to their own opinion on this topic, the tricky part
is whether a person would impose his or her reality on others.

>  hang in mag. i know you have your hands full with
>  your advocacy position there.

yep, three meetings a month. It's been hard these last three months, not
enough money to do anything with, but that changed on july 2nd. we have
gotten 500,000 so we can go ahead and do the sidewalk survey, where they
will literally hire a company to walk every mile of sidewalk in oakland,
and log in a computer program where there is a tree or utility pole pulling
up the sidewalk and that way the city can have a logical plan of attack for
repairing sidewalks, and they can then determine whether the tree is the
city's responsibility or home owners or business' responsibility.

Then there is also the disabled residental parking zone program.
The recreation and parks are trying to make all parks at least somewhat
accessible for kids, and that takes money as well..
Then in october is the disability arts display, and I was shocked at how
much it ended up costing the commission. We came out in the red. the year
before we made equal money as to what we put into it.  We have to find more
partners to co-sponser this.

Last month we had a demonstration of an evacuation chair, a guy with cp was
safely bumped down a flightof marble steps. Kyle, what do you know about
such things from the feds? I can't see being safely bumped down more than
three flights in this in an emergency.
I saw a fascinating program on pbs about the skyscraper race, and how over
in asia they have to be built with heavy winds in mind, and that there they
encourage folks to use elevators that have been designed for such use, also
their staricases arte much wider over there so there aren't going to be
people getting crushed to death.
mag