VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:53:03 -0800
Peter --

The truth is, there are many brands for many products.  Still, most of us
are most familiar only with whoever is #1.  While Window Eyes may well be
#2, there are those who would object to the fact that their own, personal
favorite program, whether it be #3, #4 or somewhere else down the list,
isn't being mentioned in this thread at all, much less  by some vocational
rehab person somewhere in the United States.  Does that logically imply that
there is some kind of conspiracy involved in "deliberately" not mentioning
any of these other contenders?  And at what point can one leave a product
off the most mentioned list, without having suspicion raised against the
so-called offender?

There is usually a pretty good reason why a product (any product), is #1 in
it's field.  The fact that you are even looking into such a product, tells
me that you are not an Apple user.  Yet Apple is a pretty strong, yet far
distant #2  in it's own field, as is Window Eyes in it's own field.  So why
aren't you, and the majority of us using Apples, rather than some other
Window-based machines?

The point is, while your vocational rehab person probably should have known
about Window Eyes, isn't it far more important that he knows about the
leading, mainstream product instead?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go with the #2, #3 or some other
product further down the list, if that's what you want.  But realistically
speaking, how would you compare the performance and support for such a
product, versus the same for the industry leader?

If I were in his position, and I knew that Jaws commanded about 85% of the
screen reader market, I think that it would behoove me, and my clients, to
recommend what the majority of the market itself demands.

belief that this is, indeed, a smaller thing than it appears to be to you.

As for your topic question, I wouldn't infer anything.

-- George