VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:00:17 -0500
to repeat what was said earlier, a high quality outcome of a scanning
system, meaning nearly perfect output of scanned text, is not as a result of
a single factor.  rather, a number of software and hardware settings need to
be optimized as well as good choices made for the hardware and software
itself.  Therefore, hardware selection will not cause a severe degradation
of performance but will not provide optimal performance either.

to compare performance of various pieces of hardware, check reviews in
places such as PC computing, PC World, and CNet.  Also, have you discussed
this issue with the person recommending the scanners and asked the basis for
his recommendation?  This kind of dialogue may be a good place to start.

As Practic mentioned in regard to a particular line of Epsons, preeminence
in the computer hardware area doesn't last forever and because a particular
company produced good products in the past doesn't mean they do so today.

Kelly