From:
Holly Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:33:11 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/2004 5:29:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Could you tell me what "shortening" is. I've seen it in the context of
> baking and thouht it to be a mixture of fat and flour but later on I've got the
> idea that it is plain margarine. If it is, why do you call it shortening and
> not just fat or margarine?

The shortening I am familiar with here in the US is basically hydrogenated
fat - like Crisco - without flavoring or coloring (like margarine).  It was very
popular years ago when people baked with lard but were frightened about
saturated animal fats.  It's really a shame that they were sold trans fats instead.

The popularity of this stuff seems to have waned (people don't bake or deep
fry as much), but it is still widely used in manufactured and bakery goods.