From:
Tad Glines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:54:57 -0500
> Tom Bridgeland wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, March 24, 2004, at 11:46  PM, Tad Glines wrote:
> > Do you have any references for that? I'd be interested in reading how
> > extra
> > B vitamins would drive away mosquitoes.
> >

> Sorry, just something I have read about occasionally. B12 is the one. I
> tried Google but just got a bunch of advertisements for vitamin sellers.

I did my own Google search. I found several interesting articles.

This one covers may ways to combat mosquitoes and includes one bullet at the
bottom that states that B12 does not repel mosquitoes.

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/022604/LOC_mosquito.shtml

This one contains more or less demolishes many vegan myths and includes a
section on vitamins B12 and D that I think are very informative. It also
states that you cannot get B12 naturally from Brewers Yeast and that it is
usually added.

http://www.powerhealth.net/selected_articles.htm

I also saw some articles from people claiming that they took a B12
supplement for one month before mosquito exposure and where not bitten. And
others claimed that B12 makes you MORE attractive to mosquitoes.

The one paper I could find on PubMed tested B21 with mice and found that
there was no notable difference between the test and control group.

-Tad