From:
bettymilner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:41:37 -0700
There are a few things in this article that made me angry. One has to do
with a teacher talking to a class of SIX YEAR OLD students about
slaughter houses. I don't know what he/she said but it must not have
been very neutral. Here are some bits of the article...the article
concluded with a discussion of vegetarianism leading to eating disorders
in some kids.especially teenagers. Our family tried vegetarianism for
several months.it didn't work well for us. At that time, the McDougall
system was all the rage. The full link to the article is:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/family/article/0,1299,DRMN_107_274
4006,00.html

a short form of the URL: http://snipurl.com/58t5

Rocky Mountain News

Steven R. Nickerson C News

Thirteen-year-old vegetarian Bianca Griffin cooks a meal for herself at
her Boulder home. "She came home from second grade one day after the
teacher talked to the class about slaughterhouses and said she wasn't
going to eat meat anymore," says her mother, Rachel, left.

Resetting the table

By Janet Simons, Rocky Mountain News

March 22, 2004

Rib-eyes are sizzling on the grill, and they smell great. You're
confident there won't be any complaints about dinner tonight. But when
your 15-year-old catches a whiff of the steaks cooking, she rolls her
eyes and bolts for her room.

"Dinnertime!" you call out cheerily as you knock on the door.

She opens the door a crack and tells you she'd rather starve.

<snip>

But the biggest concerns for most parents with a new vegetarian under
their roof are that their child won't get enough protein and that dinner
will never be quick or simple again.

"When your life consists of rushing home from work to run the kids off
to soccer practice, there's nothing quite like throwing a steak on the
grill for dinner," said Hillary Griffin, of Boulder. Her daughter,
Bianca, 13, is the only vegetarian in the Griffin household.

Bianca became a vegetarian at age 6, and at age 13 happily cooks
vegetarian meals for herself as she watches her family eat beef.

"She came home from second grade one day after the teacher talked to the
class about slaughterhouses and said she wasn't going to eat meat
anymore," Griffin said. "It just seems to be the right thing for her."

Emily Anderson Greene, co-author of What, No Meat?! What To Do When Your
Kid Becomes a Vegetarian (ECW Press, $14.95), had families like the
Griffins in mind when she sat down to her computer. What, No Meat?! is
more of a handbook than a cookbook.

<snip>

Things begin to fall into place, Greene says, when child vegetarians and
their parents approach each other with respect.

"Kids usually become vegetarians either out of compassion for living
creatures or for health reasons," Greene said. "But lots of parents put
it in the same category as getting a tattoo. They think their kids are
just trying to make their lives miserable.

"Parents need to understand their children's motivations and respect
their choices. When that happens, the kids will be more apt to give the
same kind of respect to their parents' choices."

<snip>

"So I started reading, and I found she could eat a very healthy diet as
a vegetarian."

Greene, 27, recently gave birth to her first child, a healthy boy. She
maintained her vegetarian diet throughout her pregnancy.

<big snip>

Copyright 2004, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.

Betty Ann

"In a cat's eyes, all things belong to cats." English Proverb