From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 05:45:26 -0600
> > There is a brand of canned salmon that is not salted: Rain Coast.
> > It is wild Alaskan salmon.  We find it at Vitamin Cottage, and it's
> > the only canned fish I'll buy.

I just ran across some canned sardines in the Oriental section
at the local Wal-Mart Supercenter that lists the ingredients as:
sardines, water. The brand on the label is Season. You can
get them whole or boned and skinned. The ones that were
whole were like $1.25 a can, while the boned and skinned
were higher.

> >  Of course being unsalted does not answer the question about
> > the oils being degraded by the canning process, in the rest of
> > Jean-Claude's post.

I totally agree with the that post, too. But I'll admit I bought a
couple of cans of the sardines. I got to thinking they might
be handy to have on hand in an emergency or on a trip
or something. Sardines aren't my favorite, so I'm certainly
not going to eat enough of them from a can to make much of
a difference, I don't think. And if I do need them, with the
fact that they aren't salted, at least I won't feel guilty about it.

Jay Banks
www.roadtowellsville.com