From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:18:32 +0900
On Thursday, January 29, 2004, at 12:05  AM, Neil Abrahams wrote:

> I know that some legumes, particularly kidney beans and soybeans, have
> potentially dangerous lectins and antinutrients, but have also read
> that
> the lectins in peas and lentils are not active, and don't believe the
> anti-nutrients in legumes other than kidney beans and soybeans have
> been
> shown to be much of a problem.  Does anyone know of scientifically
> valid
> reports for laypeople addressing this?

Thats funny. I subscribe to a magazine for pig farmers. One recent
issue was devoted to discussing ways to reduce lectins from soybeans
and corn, because of the effect they have on growing pigs. One way was
innoculating the feed with lacto-bacillus. Another was some chemical
treatment, I forget now exactly what. Anyway, it is a problem.