From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:02:19 -0500
It will be interesting to see what Cordain says.  If we define paleo as
only foods that could be eaten raw, then most beans wouldn't be defined as
paleo.  I think there are lots of non-paleo foods that contain tremendous
amounts of anti-oxidants -- cocoa and coffee both come to mind.  Mexicans
consume lots of chocolate -- perhaps that contributes to their lower colon
cancer rates along with more sunshine, exercise, less processed foods.
Coffee reduces colon cancer risk too. In fact, according to the study
below, instant coffee contains more anti-oxidant activitiy than cocoa and
green/black teas.  Don't know if this would hold true if the cocoa was made
very strong ie 2 tablespoons in water.  Anyway, although I adore beans,
they are far too star
chy for me to consume in any significant quantities
without gaining weight.  Amongst the less starchy  (aside from string
beans) would be adukis and black-eyed peas.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11453788&dopt=Abstract