Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:12:27 -0800
> Where are these contaminants coming from? The feed,
> which is made of fish oil
> and meal from just a few species of ocean fish. This
> concentrates the ocean
> contaminants to which the farm-raised salmon are
> exposed. Wild salmon eat a
> greater variety. When any fish or animal absorbs
> these pollutants, they are
> stored as fat and not secreted. So if the fish has
> the contaminates in its fat and
> the fish is eaten by a human, the contaminants that
> were in the fish are then
> stored in the human's fat.

> Instead of using
> fish oil in the salmon feed, they are switching to
> soybean oil and canal oil,
> which don't have the pollutants.

I remember reading that farmed salmon are lower in
Omega-3 fatty acids.  Feeding them soybean oil
certainly won't make the levels any higher....

it gets so depressing to know that we keep making the
same mistakes over and over when it comes to our food
supply.  Feeding the fish soybean oil is a terrible
band-aid approach to the problem of contaminated fish.