From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:24:17 -0700
Chatted about this with someone privately and am surprised I haven't
mentioned this.  Unless I have, in which case just hit delete.

Jim Hill at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center heads the
Atkins vs. Ornish study currently underway.  This is the first federally
funded study (NIH) of a low-carb diet.

Hill has just launched a weight loss program of his own.  Yaaaaawwwwn.
People, there's nothing new here.  "Colorado Weigh" promotes nothing more
than a low-calorie version (1,200 cal/day) of the USDA food pyramid plus
exercise.  I attended an introductory lecture on the program and Hill did
say participants could vary their personal plan according to their needs,
but I doubt by much.

Although he also said the program will stay up to date with the latest
research.  Hmmmmm.  Could this mean if his Atkins/Ornish test shows carbs
are the culprit that his career-long love affair with a diet low in fat will
end mid-stream?  That and the product link on the home page features a
litany of low-carb products from EAS.  One more thing to make ya go hmmmmm.

At any rate, I find it very interesting (perhaps unprofessional?) that
someone overseeing such a study would play such a public role in this
program.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO