From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:11:42 -0700
>I think it extends from the tendency in media reports to round off all the
>edges and string sound bytes.<

I do anchoring and traffic reports now but did extensive field reporting in
the past.  Soundbites don't lop off huge truths.  Quite the opposite, in
fact.  If anyone's rounding off the edges, it's the talking heads, not the
editors and producers who string their bites together.

>I think, initially, Atkins did not even pay lip service to the concept of
>deducting fiber for the "true" carb count.<

Correct.  And only now does the Atkins empire promote good fats over bad
fats and whatever else low in carbs.

>How often have you  seen a credible treatment of paleo concepts in the mass
>media presented by someone who has the done the homework and understands
>it? One of the few examples is the NY Times guy that you have cited on
>occasion.<

I think I mentioned this once before, but here's a nice nugget.  I nearly
fell out of my chair when I saw ABC's Dr. Timothy Johnson speak in support
of reduced carb intake on World News Tonight in reaction to a major study.
ABC's Bill Redeker is stationed right here in my building and told me a few
months back that Peter Jennings is a big low-carb diet fan thanks to his own
significant weight loss.  You can definitely see it in his face.  Diane
Sawyer also watches her carbs (although she won't use the term "low-carb").

I honestly think traditional diet 'experts' value fruits and vegetables for
their vitamins and whatnot but consider them carb-free.

The guy I cite, Gary Taubes, will take heat of volcanic proportion when his
book comes out but hey, heat sells!  So good for him.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO