Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:04:34 -0800
> H James Rhodes wrote:
>
> The fleshy pulp around the coffee bean in Ethiopian
> coffee has a high sugar content. Being sweet, being nutritious, and
> seeds being in a two-thousand year old human feces supports this theory.
>
> I've been worried
> that maybe I was sabotaging my diet that way but at least it seems that
> coffee may be a paleofood.  What do you think?

It is possible that the coffee berry (not the seed) has been in the human
diet for longer then 10,000 years. However, there is no proof that humans
have been consuming the seed for that long.

It is paleo if humans where eating it 10,000 years ago and had been doing so
for a long (20-50K years) time.

Drinking coffee is not paleo. At 2-3 cups a day you may or may not be
addicted to caffeine depending on the size of each cup. If you abstain from
coffee for 24 hours and experience headache, fatigue or muscle pain then you
are probably addicted to caffeine. Either way, it would be best if you
dropped coffee from your diet for at least the first few months of going
paleo so you can see how you do without it. If will power regarding food is
an issue for you, then a slow fade out might be better. The same goes for
reducing your carb intake. I found that is easier to stay away from ice
cream if I allow myself to have some fruit. Or I'll sometime make ice cream
from raw eggs, frozen berries and some raw honey (see www.paleofood.org).

The goal is to get closer and closer to a true paleo diet, without making it
really difficult to get there. If coffee is the only thing keeping you from
succumbing to the call of a doughnut or muffin, then quitting cold turkey
may not be advisable. Once you have eliminated those grains, beans and
potatoes and are comfortable with the diet change, then tackle the coffee.

-Tad