From:
Isaac Wedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:48:04 -0400
Don Wiss wrote:
> And do you really think our ancestors collected and ate flax seeds?

Sure, just probably not in large quantities, and probably only in
season. You think a hungry hunter/gatherer would just ignore some tasty
seeds?

This book has an anecdote about a group (in the Southwest US I think)
that would eat a fruit that was full of indigestible seeds, excrete the
seeds, then consume the resulting 'processed' seeds:

Edible Plants and Animals: Unusual Foods from Aardvark to Zamia

I assume paleo humans would use similar creative means to extract food
from their surroundings.

Isaac