From:
Lisa Wiedeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:12:07 EDT
Any tips appreciated ...I am a previous low-carber trying to tend toward
paleo now and I am having trouble converting my children's diets...my 4 year old
we nick named "carbo king" since he seems to want to subsist on bread, cereal,
macaroni and cheese and fruit....he is extremely hesitant to try any type of
meat or vegetable put in front of him ....it was a major accomplishment to get
him to eat cheese...my 5 1/2 year old is much better at trying new things and
eating a varied diet.  My husband will go with what I serve but I find him 2
hours after a meal eating 2 slices of multigrain bread with butter and honey
(carbo addicted?). He also has a big sweet tooth for ice cream which makes it
very difficult for me to resist.  I try to eat my kiwis when I dish out his ice
cream but too hard sometimes to not scrape that spoon around the outside edge
of the container and indulge.  I tried not buying ice cream and serving him
fruit but he ends up going out to get the ice cream eventually and the cycle
begins again.
Any suggestions from any one who may have gone through this would be
appriciated.
Also, what is recommended for kids to drink with meals other than water?  It
was always so ingrained in my head to serve milk, which my kids like, and now
after joining this list and reading for the past month, I guess milk should be
eliminated.  Can a child take in sufficient calcium through diet alone? They
won't eat spinach.  Raw milk is not available locally to me and I think my
husband would veto that any way.  Should I stop buying homogenized/pastuerized
milk and rely on supplements?
Thanks,
Lisa