From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:47:12 +0900
On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 03:14  PM, Bruce Kleisner wrote:

> What does your BP and pulse rate measure? I haven't read
> or heard about many people (other than sprinters) having
> pulses in the 40-60 range.

Pulse at full rest after lying down 5 minutes is often below 50. Normal
pulse during the day between 50 and 60. As a youngster running cross
country my pulse was just over 40, and my BP hasn't changed in the 20+
years since.

Bp is around 105/65, up or down a bit.

Don't put much stock in the medical profession's ideal of
> 200 or less.

I don't, but my wife does! I have to live with her, not you ;--)  By
the way, that is 200 just for ldl, about 270 total. I was between 180
and 200 total before starting paleo 2 years ago.

> High cholesterol does not predict disease very well,

Actually it does predict heart attacks to a certain extent, it is the
interplay of all body functions that are not well reflected. Too high
ldl cholesterol is not good for the heart, but apparently it is good
for other parts of the body, the brain and other tissues. Too low
cholesterol is associated with early death by stroke, cancer, violence
etc, too high by death by heart attack. That is the side of things the
doctors aren't telling people. Too complicated a message, I guess. We
all have to die of something, some things are just more PC.

> as
> the articles above and many studies show. Triglycerides
> give a much better indication, and yours sound fairly
> good.

My triglycerides are below the chart minimum level, it starts at 50.