From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:07:44 +0200
From: "Susan Carmack" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: French Paradox

> Hi All,
>
> >My theory on the paradox is based on the consumption of trans fats.
>
> My theory is that it is the amount of fast food Americans eat that causes
> the problem. I read somewhere that there are more than 600 chains of fast
> food restaurants in the USA. I don't think France has so much fast food.
>
> I went to a popular Mexican chain restaurant in the US and the manager
told
> me that there is MSG on everything. Nothing was gluten free.
>
> Paleobest,
> Susan

Well, somehow it isn't enough, fast food. Sweden and Finland are both small
countries so perhaps we disappear in the statistics but both have high
deaths on coronary disease. In Sweden, margarine has been a big product and
I think it is the same for Finland. French fries, chips came to Sweden in
the 50's and most people old enough to get heart problems have hardly ever
eaten any deep fries. In fact most people of that age does not like or eat
deep fried food. So, if that is the problem it will show later on. Most of
the people of the heart failure group have also been sitting quietly eating
their food. Eating sandwiches has always been a big thing in Sweden. We are
also one of the countries that have no pies in our tradition so sandwiches
and the "smörgåsbord" has been very common.
Sometimes I wonder if the fact that we and the Brits with some other
northern nations belong to the "hard drinking belt" or if it is just a
co-factor. People have eaten a lot of potato, bread, porridge and other
starchy food and a lot of milk. More and more people are now getting
diabetes II and we are getting fatter and fatter.
Eva