AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:04:23 -0600
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

Unlearning Racism:  Creating Inclusive Organizations & Communities
Nov. 20-21

Facilitators:  Don Coleman & Kathy Germann

In spite of decades of action, racism continues to be pervasive in our
society.  Yet many people wouldn't consider themselves to be racist.
How
is racism perpetuated then?  What can we as individuals and
organizations
do to promote positive change in this area?

When given opportunities for further dialogue we can enhance our
understanding, find the courage to move through our fear, guilt, and
anger,
heal old wounds, and find ways to join together as allies to dismantle
interpersonal and institutional racism.

In this workshop we'll create a safe space for self reflection and
dialogue
with others about the impact of racism.  We'll examine what we've been
taught about the concept of "race" and how we've come to define
ourselves.
We'll discover the adaptations we've learned that may unwittingly
support
and reinforce racism and how that effects our relationships with
others
different from ourselves.  We'll examine the costs and benefits of
white
skin privilege and identify strategies for being effective allies and
confronting racism.

Because this training is experientially based it is limited to 25
participants.

The workshop runs 8:30-4:30 daily and takes place at the Pyle Center
on
the UW-Madison campus.  Workshop fees are$295.
DPI clock hours and social work CEU's are available.

To learn more information about the workshop and/or to register
on-line
go to http://www.dcs.wisc.edu/pda/hhi/diversity/htm  To register by
phone,
call  608-262-7942.

For more information contact Kristine Bruns, Professional Development
and
Applied Studies, 608-263-5130 or 800-442-4617 or [log in to unmask],
or
contact Kathy Germann at 608-233-6757 or [log in to unmask]

Kathy Germann Consulting
P.O. Box 5054
Madison, WI 53705
phone/fax:  608-233-6757
www.kathygermannconsulting.com

Hedi Rudd
Mayor's Office
Study Circles on Race Program Coordinator
210 Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd Room 403
Madison, WI 53703-3346

608-266-4611 Phone
608-267-8671 Fax

"You keep plugging away--that's the way social change
takes place. That's the way every social change in history
has taken place: by a lot of people, who nobody ever heard
of, doing work."
Noam Chomsky