VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:08:47 -0400
From:
Pratik Patel <[log in to unmask]>
Hello All,

Beyond what Kelly has already mentioned, I would suggest looking at the
Epson Perfection 3170 scanner.  The price of this particular scanner ranges
from $160 to $180.  This scanner is not in the same line as Epson Perfection
1640/1650/1660.  However, in extensive testing, the next version in this
line, Epson Perfection 1670, is not built to be as durable and spedy as the
previous model (1660).  The epson Perfection 3170 scanner provides very
similar results to 1660 and is as durable.  The scanner is slightly quieter
and a little slower.  The speed difference is insubstantial.  But, please
speak with someone who uses this particular scanner with Open Book prior to
your purchase.  I have seen some Open Book tests that suggest that the speed
is quite slow when using it with this particular OCR package.  My experience
with this scanner is with Kurzweil 1000.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Pratik

Pratik Patel