Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lynda Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:30:10 -0800
> Does anyone know where to buy pure dessicated
> porcine thyroid?

Do you mean the prescription form, which is Armour
made by Forest Laboratories?  There are some overseas
providers, such as the one at the link below, where
you can buy it without a prescription.

http://www.biogenesis.co.za/pi-thyroid.asp

> Or how do you know when you no longer need thryoid?

If you're taking thyroid medication, you should be
tested at least once a year, more often if you're
adjusting dosages.  In addition to TSH, you should
also have Free T3, Free T4, anti-TPO and anti-TG
antiboides tested to provide a complete picture of
your status. You should also have a thyroid ultrasound
to determine if there is any gland enlargement or if
there any nodules that can't be detected by routine
examination.  The presence of nodules may require a
biopsy to determine if they're benign or malignant.

Although the AACE guidelines now state that TSH normal
range is .03-3, "normal" is better defined by how you
actually feel.  I may feel better with a TSH closer to
2 and Free T3 &T4 at mid-range or higher.  Someone
else may feel "normal" with a suppressed (below .03)
TSH and higher FT3&4.

As far as when you no longer need medication, it
depends on what type of thyroid condition you have.
If you have a chronic condition such as autoimmune
thyroiditis (Hashimoto's) or Graves disease, your body
is producing antibodies to destroy your thyroid, and
you may never be able to stop medication.  There are
other thyroid conditions which may resolve with
careful management of diet and other factors.

> Seems that non paleo diet, especially gluten, can
> damage the thyroid.  But if you get completely off
gluten, and onto a paleo diet, can the thyroid gland
heal itself and begin producing the right amount of
hormones?? >>

Foods that are known to be "goitrogenic" should also
be avoided or seldom consumed.  Diet, exercise,
supplements can certainly help but, again, it depends
on what type of thyroid condition you have as to the
extent that you can control yourself.

Lynda Bryson