Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:30:47 -0800
--- Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >The evidence is pretty substantial that insulin
> levels have more to do
> >with health and longevity than any other factors
> (other than, of
> >course, avoiding short-term poisons like arsenic).
> >

> I really agree with this.  When we look at plant
> foods we soon realize
> that just about all of them have something or other
> that could be
> regarded as an antinutrient or a toxin, and
> virtually all have lectins
> (these things referred to collectively as "secondary
> compounds").  The
> difference between what is edible and what isn't
> lies in the
> concentrations of these things.  And the whole point
> of the various food
> preparation methods that humans have developed over
> untold milennia is
> to make the inedible edible by reducing the
> concentrations of secondary
> compounds in "inedible" foods to levels comparable
> to those of "edible"
> foods.  These are the levels at which we are
> apparently equipped to deal
> with these secondary compounds.
>
> What we are not equipped to deal with, many of us
> anyway, is the
> relentless hammering of our metabolisms with large
> quantities of
> carbohydrate, and the resultant insulin resistance
> and chronically
> elevated insulin levels.

Avoiding elevated insulin is a good first step, but us
moderns are not consuming quantities of brains,
kinneys, livers, etc, that supply extraordinary high
levels of vitamins and minerals, and other compounds
which are not found in muscle meats.  It appears that
our options are to either eat the organs of plant
eating herbivores, or consume plant foods and deal
with the secondary compounds, lectins, etc..

It's too easy to say, I eat low carb and control my
insulin, therefore I'm healthy.  Unfortunately, we
live in a very toxic world and need nutrients from
plants, via organ meats or the plants themselves, in
order to avoid the big C, cancer. I do agree that
insulin will control heart disease and diabetes, and
probably more, but, that doesn't you do you much good
if you get a brain tumor.

I guess the best option is to eat low carb, consume
plenty of low starch greens, and hope that the
antinutrients don't get you.  Either that or switch
from steak to liver, kidneys, and brains.  I
personally would rather stick with the greens.

Mark