Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:22:17 -0500
Dr. Weil's cautious take on the salmon news on Larry King Live last week;

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0401/13/lkl.00.html

KING: But I want to get this right. Recent news reports cite a new study
that says farm-raised salmon have significantly higher concentrations of
PCBs, dioxin and other cancer-causing contaminants than salmon caught in the
wild.

WEIL: This is a...

KING: Now, what percentage of the salmon we eat is caught in the wild?

WEIL: Not much anymore. In fact, if you go into a restaurant, almost
certainly, what you're going to find there is farmed salmon. Anywhere you
see the words "Atlantic salmon," that's foreign salmon. There are no wild
Atlantic salmon left. We've overfished them.

KING: And they're bad for me why? I shouldn't eat farmed salmon?

WEIL: I would not buy farmed salmon anymore, based on this report. The
concentrations of these chemicals is very alarming, many times what you find
in wild salmon. Again, this is a problem that shouldn't be. This could be
cleaned up. The salmon farmers could clean up their act. They could feed the
fish feed that was free of these contaminants. But that's not being done. So
you know, what -- the people that did the study, a very good research team,
said that some of the samples they tested had so much of these contaminants
in them that they recommended eating no more than one half to one meal a
month...

(CROSSTALK)

KING: But the FDA center says, We've looked at all the data, and our advice
to consumers is not to alter their consumption of farmed or wild salmon.

WEIL: Well, I think they're...

KING: The contaminant levels are very low.

WEIL: This is not true. I don't think they saw this recent report. It just
came out last week, and it's shocking. This was a test of a lot of samples
of farmed salmon. I wouldn't eat it.

KING: So it comes down to this, Doc.

WEIL: Yes?

KING: What the hell do you eat? In other words, if I eat just walnuts and
blueberries, I'm going to be healthy, but I'm going to wind up looking like
a walnut with a blueberry face, right?

(LAUGHTER)

WEIL: I mean, what's good to eat?

WEIL: You want to eat salmon, if you can get it. You know, wild Alaskan
salmon is good. You can get canned sockeye salmon. All of that is wild.
There's a great resource untapped in Alaska, pink salmon, which many people
think of as being an inferior kind of salmon...