Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:40:54 -0400
>Hence,
>alcohol should never be recommended as a
>food."

Fredrik

Yes, my impression is that it is a toxin. Note how it is listed by this doctor;

http://www.peds.umn.edu/divisions/pccm/teaching/acp/toxin.html

And here;

http://www.mercola.com/2000/jan/23/alcohol_stress.htm

"COMMENT: Nice to have some of the biochemistry behind the recommendation
that most all of us should avoid alcohol as it is a toxin."

And also at http://www.middlebury.edu/~healthed/alcathletes.html

"Alcohol consumption has a significant impact on how the liver functions.
The liver is the primary organ which metabolizes alcohol so that alcohol is
broken down and eliminated from the body. The liver responds to alcohol as a
toxin and when a toxin is present in the body, the liver temporarily
"suspends" its other functions in order to rid the body of a toxic
substance. One of the normal functions the liver suspends in order to
process the alcohol is one of the liver's primary functions - the
maintaining of adequate blood levels of glycogen. Glycogen is the basic fuel
for the body and brain. When the liver suspends its function of producing
adequate glycogen, the results are impaired cognitive function and rapid
onset of muscle fatigue during strenuous exercise. Both of these result in
impaired athletic performance. A secondary effect of an inadequate glycogen
supply is that muscle tissue may lack the energy supply necessary for cell
repair following strenuous exercise."

. . .

My feeling is that the enzyme that we have in our bodies is there to protect
us against the toxic effects of various (toxic) alcohols found in nature,
including ethanol. I think that physiologically, we can tolerate it in small
quantities but that it should not be touted as a paleo foodstuff to be
consumed on a daily basis.

Just my impression unless there is convincing evidence to the contrary.

Marilyn