From:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:37:49 -0500

Dear all:

I realize I may have been rather provocative—maybe too much so!--with my
header regarding the use of gf skin products. And I got a LOT of replies—
thanks to all. It is odd, since I went in with a really different attitude
than the one I came out with....

What I’ve come to think  is that science is only as good as it is useful.
As in, if it can't explain a symptom, well, that doesn’t resolve the
symptom now, does it?

I’ll break down what most of the replies covered:

1) People who have dh need to avoid gf skin products—EVEN if the “science”
says that gluten can’t penetrate the skin. Our experience is obviously
ahead of the science here. Though I wasn’t referring to those with dh,
since I don’t have it—apparently a lot of people assumed since I didn’t
mention it I didn’t know about it, which wasn’t true.

2) I got a few replies from those who had had or observed intestinal
celiac symptoms from the application of topical gluten—again, the science
on this notwithstanding. Obviously we all know our own bodies and needs
best, and we follow these needs.

3) The “if it gets in your mouth issue”—meaning lipsticks and the like, or
if you have kids who put the unconventional in their mouths. I now see how
important this is—though I don’t wear make-up so for mean the gf issue is
more about face cream and face wash and shampoo. But if I do start wearing
lipstick, it’ll be gf!

4) My conclusion: Not only have I gone gf for skin products, I’ve started
to make my own from scratch. There are a lot of very funky chemical things
in beauty products! And if I know everything that goes into my body, why
aren’t I as concerned about what goes on it? This is really the next step
for me into the world of holistic and herbal medicine, so it was a perfect
time to make that move—and a basic principle of natural beauty care is, if
you don’t put it in your body, don’t put it on your body, either. So I’m
sticking to this principle, and I’m also taking the time to learn about
just what certain ingredients are right for my skin, which since it's
problematic is a good thing for me anyway.

Thanks again,
Jessica