From:
Deborah Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:48:03 -0600

A while back I suggested puffed millet as a substitute for oatmeal in
oatmeal cookies.  One of our listmates pointed out that some folks with
CD have problems with millet and millet may have as many contamination
problems as do oats.

Further oatmeal substitutes for cookies were suggested by the list. They
include:

Quinoa by Ancient Harvest - Personally I found the flakes too small to
be a good substitute for oatmeal.

Unsweetened coconut

One listmate uses Poha flakes in their "oatmeal" in recipes. For
cookies, she rinses the flakes to soften them, but she says to be sure
to drain well or decrease the liquid in the cookie recipe. Poha are
pounded rice flakes and you can find them in health food stores and
asian markets.

A couple of people use brown rice flakes. They can be used successfully
in granola. Goldmine Natural Food Co on the web sells some.

a blend of baby rice cereal and very finely ground almonds.

puffed amaranth

Since oatmeal does not have gluten, a number of listmates said that they
use McCann's oatmeal. Apparently they do their best to have a GF mill
and are thus less likely to be cross contaminated.. The Gluten Free
Pantry carries their oatmeal.

A listmate from Sweden suggested buying oatmeal from the Swedish company
Semper who sells "delicious oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips." They
also have pure (non contaminated) oats to sell. Some Internet stores
sell it.

There is an "Oatmeal" cookie recipe at
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.12

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my search for a oatmeal
substitute. I will be trying some of your suggestions.
Deborah Martin