Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:25:19 -0500

I emailed the company T. Marzetti and this is the email reply I recieved.
(For those who don't know they make things like vegetable dip, etc).
Heidi Wubben

Dear Ms. Wubben:

Thank you for inquiring about our products.
We appreciate customers who take the time to
tell us their thoughts and concerns.  It is the
policy of T. Marzetti Company to include all
ingredients used in a product on our ingredient
declaration per FDA regulations.  If gluten or a
gluten-containing ingredient is used in a formula,
it is our practice to declare this on our ingredient
listing.  However, we cannot certify our products
as gluten free for use by celiac sprue patients, and
therefore make no claims to that effect.

It is our understanding celiac sprue patients are
sensitive not only to gluten but any ingredient that
may have been derived from a gluten-containing
source material.  For instance, distilled vinegar may
be fermented from a gluten containing grain.  While
distilled vinegar contains no gluten, many doctors
still feel it is unacceptable to celiac sprue patients.
Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult to say a
product is gluten free, based on the requirements
of celiac sprue.

As for modified food starch, a common concern, we
generally use waxy maize starches or cornstarch.  On
rare occasions we may use a potato, rice, or tapioca
starch.  Again, if gluten or a gluten-containing
ingredient is used in a formula, it is our practice to
declare this on our ingredient listing.

We hope this information is useful to you, and allows
you to make the appropriate choice for your needs.

Sincerely,
Consumer Relations Department
T. Marzetti Company

Please do not reply to this message.