From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:09:52 -0500

Greetings again.

I am finally feeling better after talking to my dr on the phone on Sunday, to avoid the hospital! He suggested taking Emetrol for nausea, which did help!   I did take some imodium the day before. No, I was not dehydrated, thankfully, or atleast not enough to warrant going to the hospital!

I have an addition from someone that asked if I would add her suggestion for eating 'out/at someones house'.  There are others that were not included, as they stated the same as some that I had already summarized.

I would like to thank everyone again for all the concern and emails!
Diane, Iowa
~~~~~~
Diane, I really feel for you.  When I was first diagnosed 2 1/2 years
ago, I made lots of mistakes and got sick lots ot times.  I didn't
realize the level or care & responsibility it would take to stay well.
Eating food prepared in any kitchen but mine is always super risky.  Here
are a few of the rules I have developed that help me survive:

For eating at restaurants:
(1) I only "eat out" at restaurants where the food is prepared from
"scratch" and the chefs are knowledgeable about gluten.  (Outback
Steakhouse, 4-star gourmet restaurants with well educated chefs, etc.  I
NEVER eat at places with pre-prepped food such as Denny's, Mr. Kokomo's,
McDonald's, etc.)
(2) I only order very simple, plain, one ingredient menu items such as
steak, baked potato, tossed green salad with oil & vinegar dressing.  For
dessert I have fresh fruit, sorbet or plain vanilla ice cream.  (I no
longer order chicken at restaurants, because so many fresh chicken
products have been injected with "broth", "flavor enhancers", etc.)
(3) I instruct the cook to use NO sauces or seasoning and I generally
avoid ethnic foods such a Thai, Chinese, Cajun, etc.  Here's where gluten
is usually hiding.  If I want ethnic foods, I prepare them myself at
home.

For eating at friends' homes:
(4)  I don't eat at friends & relatives homes unless I can help prepare
the meal.  And I usually bring something to share from my own kitchen.
If the hostess can't accommodate me, I decline the invitation.  It sounds
socially awkward & intrusive, but too bad, it's totally necessary.  For a
perfect example:  Last evening I attended a large birthday gathering.
The menu was teriyaki sish-ka-bobs w/ rice.  I arranged ahead of time to
have only all natural chicken (Foster Farms brand), plain pork & veggies
set aside for me in a separate container.  I skewered my own meat &
veggies, brushed them with plain olive oil & seasoned with plain salt.
(I could have brought my own marinade, but I chose not to.)  I also
assisted (really supervised) the grilling and it's a good thing I did.  I
observed the cook make a mistake that could have ruined the meal.  He set
the tongs aside on a platter with the teriyaki on it.  The tongs had to
be washed before being used on my food again.  The rest of the dinner was
a pot luck, so I brought brownies & broccoli salad and enjoyed some fresh
fruit.  I was satisfied, well fed, had a good time and, best of all, I
didn't get sick.