From:
arnold bodner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
arnold bodner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:05:23 -0500

According to the Kikkoman website, their soy sauce is safe for celiacs.  I realize that one of the ingredients of their sauce is wheat, but I suppose they are claiming that the fermentation process breaks gluten down to harmless amino acids.

Does anyone have any more info about soy sauce and the actual gluten content? (as opposed to blanket statements from celiac organizations which simply note that soy sauce has wheat as an ingredient and is forbidden)

Kikkoman is a large reputable company and I doubt they would make the above statement without some scientific evidence.