From:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 06:33:36 -0800

Thank you for the replies I received!  There were
only 2 specifically regarding the restaurants I
had inquired about.  However, a summary of all
help others.  Thanks again!

- I dined at Angelo & Maxie's a few months ago.
When I told my waiter I wanted my steak prepared
"plain grilled, no au jus, no marinade, with
steamed vegetables, a baked potato, etc., etc. --
he interrupted me to say, "Oh, you must have
celiac disease.  No problem - I know exactly what
to do."  I'm pleased to report that the food was
prepared perfectly and that I had a great steak
dinner.

-- i had a dreadful experience at Roth's. I asked
for an omelet made in a pan, not on the grill,
with a fruit salad and no bread or potatoes on
the plate. they brought me an omelet touching
bread and potatoes. i sent it back, and explained
my needs once again. they took forever, then
brought me an omelet with bread (no potatoes)
touching. i sent it back yet again and explained
my needs yet again. the third time was no better.
i then called the manager over and told him that
i just wanted fruit salad and how disappointed i
was in them. he apologized, but i will not go
back.

- i live downtown and have had my best
experiences at Gus' Place, which has a gluten
free menu;

- Cafe Loup (a French restaurant that is very
understanding -- they have gluten free vegetable
and chicken dishes, and will prepare their fish
and duck dishes to order -- and they have a
number of fine gluten free desserts;

- Tequila's, a Mexican restaurant -- perhaps too
modest for the occasion, but lots of fun;

- Philip Marie, which twice went out of its way
to make me a fabulous gluten free dinner (i
called ahead; the chef told me he loves
accommodating special diets, and he's very
familiar with gluten free needs). enjoy!

- Just came back from a weekend in NYC, ate at Da
Tomasso on 8th Ave. @ 54th.  Although I was the
only celiac in the group (and was prepared to
eat only salad) the chef was more than
accommodating and seemed knowledgeable of the
gluten free diet.  Made me chicken piccata with
lemon and wine - no flour - in a separate pan
w/roasted potatoes and green beans, flan for
dessert.  Was scrumptious and no after effects!

- The Gluten Free Restaurant Awareness Program is
at www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/

- www.silly-yak.com has a complete listing of
places that are known to be GF